When it comes right down to it, if you or someone you love is unemployed, the primary concern is always going to be getting back to work.
The best place to start if that’s where you are is to get off the job boards, and identify a target list of companies that are hiring right now. After doing some research, I’ve come up with a list to give you a headstart on that effort. I recognize that many of these may not offer the ideal role, or the perfect situation. Still, if a paycheck is the immediate priority, sometimes we compromise on the role to get our foot in the door. Here’s a quick rundown of what I found:
- Groceries/Pharmacies (Cashiers, Asst. Mgrs., Warehouse)
- Delivery (from FedEx to DoorDash, employee and contractor)
- Home Improvement (Cashiers, Inventory, Asst. Mgrs.)
- Banking/Insurance (Analytics, Sales, Customer Svc.)
- Healthcare (Paraprofessionals, Customer Svc.)
- Pharmaceuticals (Scientists, Analytics, Sales)
- Large Food Companies (Nestles, Pepsi, etc., various roles)
- Tech/Software (Apple, PayPal, primarily IT, programming roles)
What to do with this list? Even if the role isn’t your dream come true, check out the companies in an industry that appeals to you. For example, if you are into fitness, UnderArmour is hiring. Start somewhere in an industry or an organization that seems like a good fit, and see where it can take you!
If you don’t know where to start, ask a few people you trust “What do you think would be a good next step for me?” Sometimes other people can see an answer when we can’t.
Cheers to your career!