If you are looking for a job right now, or planning a career pivot but waiting for the economy to turn around, the waiting can be torture. Even more so because the job market is filled with uncertainty. Sadly, it looks like it’s going to be the end of summer before enough of the population is vaccinated to give many employers the confidence they need to staff back up again.
While you are doing everything you can to find a job, while you are networking, and targeting companies, and applying for jobs, I have a suggestion that may help with the wait:
- Volunteering can make you feel great when you have some time on your hands.
- Volunteering builds skills that may help you make a pivot, or add to your resume.
- Volunteering is prized by many organizations and gives you a chance to make connections you might not otherwise make.
- Volunteering can be done in small ways, and fit in around other obligations.
- Volunteering makes a difference and helps us all feel like part of a community – a good thing!
Waiting, especially when things are out of our control can make us focus on ourselves and that can turn negative quickly. Volunteering and finding ways to be of service is the natural antidote, and can even help you job search along the way!
Cheers to your career!