Part of my job – a big part – is to keep an eye on the employment outlook, emerging industries, and trends in recruiting. In short, if it’s career-related, my goal is to be on it!
How’s that going? Honestly, it’s a challenge because there are so many variables right now… So, I’m looking at industries, trend lines, and trying to avoid making any predictions without data to back them up.
That said, there are a few things I feel confident about. So here are a few ideas for you to consider if you are out of work, your industry is suffering, and you are looking for something to do while we wait for the air to clear (quite literally):
- The pandemic will create enormous, pent-up demand for travel. If you are in the travel industry, what kinds of virtual services could you provide now, in the meantime? What could you be doing now to anticipate the demand and be ready to pounce when the time is right?
- There is already pent-up demand for safe gathering spots and dining options. All sorts of creative things are happening all over the country to meet these demands. Maybe this is the time to start your own venture? Personally, I’m desperate for a food truck that delivers!
- There’s tremendous growth in the need for care providers for those who can’t take care of themselves. Pay isn’t great, but it is rising quickly with demand, and private care providers are setting their own fees these days.
- Ever considered tutoring? Working moms and dads all over the country are desperate for supervision of their kids during the school day. With au pairs prohibited from entering the country, the demand is high, and people who can agree to a live-in situation are naming their own salaries. Day jobs are available as well.
- Personal concierge services, like shopping and running errands, are in demand, especially for those in high-risk groups. If you live in an area with retirement communities, this could be a great stop-gap option for you.
My take on things right now is that those who get creative are going to do fine, and even thrive in this changing environment. I also want to remind you that companies are still hiring. Is there more competition? You bet. So make sure you are prepared to be the candidate who stands out.
That’s something I can help with if your efforts so far are not working. Here’s what I can tell you – my clients are finding jobs. And, I’ve created some new, affordable ways of getting you the help you need. Want to know more? You can schedule a complimentary consultation with me here.
Cheers to your career!